Wednesday, July 02, 2008

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!


For those of you who didn't know, I've decided to home school Summer. She had a really ruff year last year and we just think it would be better, for her, if her school days weren't 7 hours long. So now here I go venturing into uncharted territory! Yikes! I've been all over the Internet looking at different curriculums, methods, support groups etc. I am pretty excited to get into it. Summer learns very quick, in MATH especially! She had been begging me to home school her since last October. I always had it in my head that I would definitely home school if we were in a scary school district or there were bad influences taking over. But those reasons aren't the case. We are in a top rated school district. Summer just isn't thriving like I wish she was. I feel like she will be less stressed and have more time to relax and be a kid (I hope). Anyways, if anyone has any advise, info, contacts etc., I am really searching for a good curriculum. I am leaning toward a secular curriculum. I worry that the Christian based will be to bias, and I can do the religious training myself. I want her to have a good education-preferably one that can get her a good college scholarship!!! Wish me LUCK!

2 comments:

Annie said...

rachel- talk to my parents, they may have some suggestions.

Melissa said...

Julie Smith, a blogger friend of Russell's homeschools her kids -- she has some thoughts on the program that my in-laws are all big on, if you're interested. She also has a post on homeschooling kindergarten, but you might be able to use some of the information she has there.

My friend Amira also has talked about homeschooling on her blog, and I think she has some links to other homeschooling resources there, too.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy the experience.